New Students: Getting Started
Your Z-ID and Password
- Applicants and admitted students are assigned a permanent Z-ID.
- Applicants and admitted students who don't know their Z-ID must call 815-753-8100.
- Enrolled students can look up their Z-ID:
- Go to directory.niu.edu and search for your name.
- Select your name and you'll see your Z-ID as the first part of your @students.niu.edu email address.
- Your initial password was sent via email. If you need assistance, call 815-753-8100.
- The initial password expires after only 5 uses, so change it immediately at password.niu.edu. The new password you choose will expire after 365 days.
Your NIU student email address (Z-ID@students.niu.edu)
- Read your NIU email. It is the official way NIU administration and faculty communicate with you.
- View NIU mail on the web at o365.niu.edu
Check MyNIU for:
- your application status,
- class schedule,
- financial aid,
- bills and payments, and more.