NIU’s Division of Information Technology (DoIT) offers several options for cost-effective and secured storage, archives and backups to meet both group and individual data requirements. These storage solutions are available for primary, shared, archival and backup data using either the high-speed data center networks or the campus network. These solutions can be customized for different access methods as well as security and availability requirements.
Storage options include:
- backups centrally managed and routinely performed using EMC NetWorker with EMC Data Domain as the backup target, data retention for 2 months with data
- high-performance server storage with a Storage Area Network (SAN) using a dedicated fiber-optic network in DoIT’s data centers; and
- shared drives and folders accessible via Network Attached Storage (NAS) which uses dedicated file-level storage servers behind the enterprise firewalls to provide faster and easier access.
NIU also provides individual, cloud-based document sharing for faculty, staff
- 1TB of cloud storage with a 10GB maximum file size;
- secured storage for the most sensitive data, including FERPA, HIPAA and PCI data; and
- access files with web browsers, mobile devices or directly from Microsoft Office desktop applications.
|OneDrive for individual and shared drives: 1TB||no charge||auto-provisioned for current faculty, staff, and students|
|Network Attached Storage for shared drives: 25GB blocks||$1.00/25GB/month||Submit request at it.niu.edu|
|Data Protection Options|
|Option 1: Version Control||File storage and backups on a single storage array, and by itself does not protect against a catastrophic array or data center failure. It is instead designed to work with your existing departmental data copies as part of a full 3-2-1 strategy.||Submit request at it.niu.edu|
|Option 2: Geo-Redundancy||Files and single snapshots for 30 days on a primary and secondary NAS environment. This guards against a catastrophic environmental failure in one of the data centers but only allows for data retrieval within a 30-day period.|
|Option 3: True Backup||File storage and backups on a primary NAS with files, nightly