Email and Messaging
NIU’s Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides email, calendaring, and messaging software to current students, alumni, faculty, staff, retirees and affiliates.
All faculty and staff have an Office 365 account; students will migrate to Office 365 starting August 11, 2016. Features include:
- Email accessible with an Outlook client, Outlook on the web, and via Outlook on Android and Outlook on iOS devices;
- Calendars for individuals and resources that can be shared with and moderated by others;
- Microsoft Office applications for both work and personal use that include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and more;
- OneDrive for Business provides individual cloud storage that can be shared with others and edited with Microsoft Office online;
- Spam protection through Exchange Online Protection and individual spam filters; and
- Skype for Business (formerly Lync) for online audio and video chats with individuals or groups.
NIU and Microsoft have signed a Business Associate Agreement that ensures Office365 and its features, including OneDrive, are safe for NIU's sensitive data, including HIPAA-regulated personal health information, student information regulated by FERPA, and credit-card information that must comply with Payment Card Industry requirements.
- Faculty who retire may request an employee extension account to retain their Office 365 account.
- Retirees have free access to Office365 email and calendaring for one year after retiring, but then must join the Annuitants Association to retain access to email and calendaring.
NIU email addresses have an email alias that is generally composed of first initials, some or all of last names, and sometimes a number at the end. This email alias can be changed and updated, but then it cannot be reused or recovered by anyone (including yourself) for one year. If you change your alias, all incoming emails to your old alias will not be delivered and are not recoverable by any means.
NIU email users can create their own distribution lists within their own email account, but users can also request an electornic mailing list that can be used by those included in the list or the public to send, receive and archive email messages and attachments. The membership is open to anyone with an email address and can be moderated by one or more NIU accounts. Members can also be given permissions to subscribe and unsubscribe from the list.
Mailing lists are available to faculty and staff for NIU-related business or professional organizations and to student organizations when requested by their faculty advisor.
Often, submitting news and calendar events are a better way to communicate with the entire campus.
- Submit news and program information to NIU Today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post events and deadlines to the NIU Calendar. See NIU Calendar Support.
If you must email more than 100 recipients outside of your own division, you must request a mass email to a specific group from NIU's Division of Marketing and Communications. You may email more than 100 recipients in your own Division provided you follow the requirements outlined in the Mass Electronic Communications Authorization and Distribution Procedures.
Mass Notification (Text)
NIU's Department of Police and Public Safety uses Everbridge's Mass Notification product to send emergency text messages to all NIU faculty, staff and students who have registered. An upgrade to the Everbridge system in 2015-2016 will allow administrators across campus to use the product for mass-texting their own staff, creating on-call calendars, and more.
- CAN-SPAM at NIU
- Email Phishing
- IT Mailing Lists
- Mass Electronic Communications Authorization and Distribution Procedures
- NIU Mailing Lists
|Account: Employee Extension for Faculty Only||free||DoIT Forms -> Email Services|
|free for first year after retirement,
then must join Annuitants Association to retain the account
|Request a retiree Outlook account|
Directory: Request Change to Directory Information
|free||Change or update your directory information|
|Directory: Student Request to Prevent Disclosure||free||NIU Registration and Records|
|Mailing List||free||DoIT Forms -> Email Services|