NIU’s Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides telephone services through traditional time-division multiplexing (TDM) as well as IP-based systems, powered by Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) technologies. The TDM system uses trunk lines leased from Frontier Communications and is powered by an Avaya CS2100 switch. The IP-based services allow users to make telephone calls using NIU’s campus data network.
Basic features of the voice service include:
xxxxphone numbers with three-way calling, name display, forwarding, busy/don’t answer, and fax options;
- authorization codes that provide call control for
- cellphone purchase and support for staff who are exempted from the Cellular Service Stipend Policy;
- conference call services for up to 30 parties with a Meet Me phone number or toll-free conference call services for an unlimited number of callers;
- Directory listings for students, faculty, staff
anddepartments including locations, titles and phone numbers;
- simultaneous ringing to a cell phone; and
voice mailwith both telephone and web interfaces, automated attendant, and custom mailbox features.
DoIT provides call center services that include call menus, announcements, and an Automatic Call Distribution (ACD) system to manage incoming calls with an associated database of handling instructions. Requiring a multi-line telephone, ACD answers incoming calls on a first come, first served basis and can hold calls in a queue for the next available agent. Thresholds can be programmed to minimize caller wait time and supervisors can join live calls for training purposes.
Requests for new services and changes to existing services are submitted via a work order
The fee for the Voice Services Package is based on the type of cost center:
- Administrative (excluding Grants) - approximately 97% of campus; voice services are centrally funded so there is no fee
- Grants / Outside Accounts - $31.00 monthly for the same package of voice services
Direct Charge Voice Services are not included in the Voice Services Package. They are billed the same for all campus customers.
Note: Services provided by outside vendors are not eligible under either rate model. Charges are incurred directly by the requesting department.
- Cellular Service Stipend Policy
- Campus Cable Wiring Standards (
- Multi-line Phone Features
- Single-line Phone Features
- Voice Mail Features
- Collaboration and Conferencing
- Departmental Phone Bills (restricted access)
- Email and Messaging
- Multimedia Production and Support
- Network Architecture and Support
|Voice Services Package||Request|
|Automated Call Distribution (ACD):
|Meet Me conference call||Self-service Meet Me|
|Moves, adds, changes||work order|
|Simultaneous ring||Submit a request at it.niu.edu|
|Telephone line: analog / IP||work order|
|Telephone sets: single or multi-line||work order|
|Direct Charge Voice Services||Rates for all customers||Request|
|Audio Conference: Toll-free||$0.12/minute/participant
Additional cellular services
|DoIT Forms -> Cellular Services|